Postdoctoral scientist (m/f/d) in soft X-ray photoelectron spectroscopyReference No.: EE 2019/29
The Young Investigator Group ‘Operando Interfacial Photochemistry’ is hiring a postdoc for managing the experimental setup SOL³ PES at the BESSY II synchrotron radiation facility. The SOL³ PES (Solid, Solution, Solar – PhotoElectron Spectroscopy) is a multi-user (near)-ambient pressure soft X-ray photoelectron experimental station offering a wide-range of techniques: liquid-microjets, flat-jets, cryo-jets, condensed liquid films at elevated pressures, transmission cells, as well as micro-(photo)electrochemical flow cells (µ-PECs). The scientific focus is on energy-materials (solar fuels, water splitting applications, fuel cells, electrocatalysts, Li-ion batteries), (aqueous) nanoparticle solutions, and redox-active (in-)organic molecules in solution. Primarily, non-radiative relaxation processes, as well as induced electron and charge transfer processes at the solid-liquid, liquid-liquid, and electrolyte-anode interfaces will be investigated by Auger-, resonant photoelectron spectroscopy, and partial electron yield X-ray absorption as well as in transmission under operando conditions and/or during battery operation.
- Active participation in beamtimes at the BESSY II synchrotron radiation facility, i.e. technical, administrative and scientific support for group members, external users, collaboration partners and HZB inhouse researchers during their beamtime with the SOL³ PES station
- Upgrading and maintaining the SOL³ PES station
- Writing beamtime proposals and performing own (resonant) soft X-ray spectroscopic electronic-structure experiments at solid-liquid and electrolyte/electrode interfaces
- Analyzing data, writing scientific publications and presenting the results at international conferences and workshops
- Co-supervision of PhD students
- Completed PhD in Physics
- At least two years of practical PES or XPS experience, preferably liquid microjets PES and/or near-ambient pressure XPS, ideally at synchrotron radiation facilities
- Some experiences in (photo)electrochemistry, ideally in PECs, (photoemission) spectroscopy, solid state physics and/or thin film synthesis desirable
- Experience in publishing scientific results
- Ability to work in a team and a high level of self-reliance are a must
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Enthusiasm and experimental skills
What we offerFixed term contract for 24 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 18.08.2019. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.