The Institute Functional Oxides for Energy Efficient Information Technologies is looking for:
PhD Student (f/m/d)"Development of ferroelectric tunnel junction memory devices for neuromorphic applications"Reference No.: EM 2019/8
In the institute Functional Oxides for Energy-Efficient Information Technology we work on functional oxide thin films and nanostructures for energy-efficient data sensing or processing. We focus on material synthesis, detailed structural characterization using advanced methods, and on transport and optical properties in different types of materials and devices. We closely collaborate with various research institutes and universities in Berlin (GrafOx network), Europe and the USA.
- Fabrication of CMOS compatible ferroelectric devices, particularly ferroelectric tunnel junctions (FTJ) and co-integration with Si FETs
- Electrical characterization of FTJ devices and investigation of retention, endurance and reliability of memory states
- Evaluation of different ferroelectric oxides, metals and device architectures to obtain multi-state memory
- n-depth electrical characterization studies to evaluate FTJs for neuromorphic computing elements (as synapse or neuron).
- Developments of methods for pulse programming and evaluation for neuromorphic learning rules (for e.g. spike timing dependent plasticity), as well as for machine learning algorithms.
- Collaboration with experts for material deposition, structural characterization and evaluation of dynamics in ferroelectric layers, presentation at international conferences and scientific publications of experimental results
- Completed Master Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering or Materials Sciences with excellent academic record
- Research experience in thin film or nanostructure/device fabrication
- Experience in the field of oxide and/or semiconductor materials
- Experience with electrical characterization such as CV/IV bench tests, pulsed IV measurements would be beneficial
- Experience working in cleanroom and morphological characterization such as SEM, AFM would be beneficial
- Good written and spoken skills in English
- High motivation for research, desire to learn and open mind for cooperative work as well as a team-oriented and communicative work ethic
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 23.06.2019. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.