The department Methods for Characterization of Transport Phenomena in Energy Materials is looking for:
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (m/f/d), PhD in Chemistry or PhysicsReference No.: EM 2019/6
The Department Methods for Characterization of Transport Phenomena in Energy Materials engages in fundamental research on charge and thermal transport in novel phases of energy and quantum materials. The transport behavior of electrons and phonons is investigated by scattering techniques (photons and neutrons) available at the large scale facilities of HZB. The investigated materials are synthesized in the Department in powder and as single crystals by various methods (ie. solid state reaction, flux growth, optical floating zone) and are characterized with respect to their structural, electronic, magnetic, and thermal properties by a wide range of experimental techniques.
- Synthesis and structural characterization (X-ray/neutron diffraction) of new phases of bulk (primarily oxide) materials as powders as well as in single-crystalline form
- Sample preparation and macroscopic characterization of electronic, magnetic and thermal transport properties using the analytical laboratory infrastructure at HZB
- Implementation of a high-quality research program on thermal and electric transport phenomena in these novel materials
- Publication of research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- PhD in Chemistry or Physics, ideally in Experimental Solid State Chemistry/Physics
- Strong experimental background in inorganic chemical synthesis, in particular powder synthesis by solid state reaction and/or single crystal growth by flux or optical floating zone methods
- Strong experimental background in crystallography, structural analysis by X-ray and/or neutron diffraction
- Working knowledge of characterization techniques for macroscopic magnetic, electronic and thermal material properties
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team, with guest researchers and technical support groups
- Contact details of at least two references should be provided
The employment contract is limited until 2022 within the framework of parental leave representation.
What we offerThe salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 07.06.2019. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.