The institute Accelerator Physics is looking for:
Postdoc Scientist (f/m) Wakefields and ImpedancesReference No.: FG 2018/9
The Institute for Accelerator Physics at HZB operates and develops modern particle accelerators for a variety of applications. Together with the Institute for SRF – Science and Technology and the Operations Department it works on the upgrade of BESSY II to a variable pulse length storage ring - BESSY VSR. This new concept allows the simultaneous operation of the light source with high brightness and picosecond timing resolution. For the future, HZB is working on a concept for BESSY III, a Soft-X-Ray Multi-User Synchrotron-Light-Source Facility as a successor to BESSY II.
- Numerical calculations and analysis of wakefields and vacuum chamber impedances
- Optimization of vacuum chamber cross sections, in close collaboration with the engineers of the vacuum group, to reduce electron beam and vacuum chamber interaction
- Calculation of the impedance budget of HZBs´ electron storage rings
- Execution of machine studies for the verifcation of the optained results and for the characterisation of new vacuum chamber installations
- Numerical field calculation for the optimization of RF cavities for acceleration and diagnostic
- PhD in physics or related discipline
- Extensive experience in numerical field calculations with programs like CST Studio ©
- Experience in performing time-domain, frequency-domain and eigenmode simulations to calculate the beam – vacuum chamber interaction
- basic knowledge of the mechanical and rf design of vacuum chambers and other vacuum installations like diagnostic devices, valves, collimators, …
- basic knowledge of the physics and beam dynamics of electron accelerators
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyHave we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 30.09.2018.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH