The institute Solar Fuels is looking for:
PhD student (m/f) within HI-SCORE research school - Influence of carrier dynamics on the performance characteristics in metal oxide semiconductors for solar water splittingReference No.: EE 2018/23
At the Institute for Solar Fuels, we develop new materials and devices for photoelectrochemical water splitting. As part of the HI-SCORE Research School (https://www.helmholtz-berlin.de/angebote/jobskarriere/promotion/hi-score/index_en.html) the influence of carrier dynamics on the overall performance characteristics in metal oxide semiconductors for solar water splitting will be investigated in close collaboration with the Israeli partner Technion - Israel Institute of Technology [IIT].
The Ph.D. positions are part of the Helmholtz International Research School "Hybrid Integrated Systems for Conversion of Solar Energy" (HI-SCORE), which is organized together with Israeli Institutes of Higher Learning (Weizmann Inst. of Science, Ben-Gurion Univ. of the Negev, Bar-Ilan Univ., Technion- Israel Inst. of Technol., Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem) as partner institutions. Within the scope of HI-SCORE, the candidate is expected to join a graduate school at the HZB and spend about 6 months of his/her Ph.D. time working in one or more of the participating Israeli groups.
HI-SCORE will act as a connecting platform for the various participating graduate schools, linking those Ph.D. projects which deal with novel wide-bandgap absorbers in highly efficient tandem devices for the solar generation of electricity and fuels. The additional benefit for the participants of HI-SCORE is a true binational mentoring and supervision structure. Each Ph.D. student will be working together with scientists in both, Israel and Germany.
- Explore the influence of illumination conditions on the carrier dynamics and performance limitations of representative metal oxides.
- Develop a combined opto-electrical model to describe the data and get a more detailed insight in the mechanisms involved.
- Independent communication and collaboration with the IIT in Israel to organize sample exchange and measurement campaigns.
- Prepare and present project reports/results.
- Present and publish results at international conferences/workshops and in high-quality peer-reviewed scientific journals, respectively.
- Knowledge in fundamental processes governing charge carrier dynamics in semiconductors (e.g. transport, recombination, mobility).
- Experience in time-resolved laser spectroscopy and in evaluation of related data is advantageous.
- Mature, sound engineering judgment, analytical ability, evidence of strong written and verbal communication skills (English proficiency required).
- A sound background in semiconductor physics is advantageous.
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyHave we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 28.07.2018.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH