The department Undulators is looking for:
Postdoc (f/m), PhD in Physics, Materials Science, or relatedReference No.: FG 2018/8
The Undulator Group at HZB is in charge of the design, construction, installation and operation of permanent magnet insertion devices (IDs) at BESSY II storage ring and its future successor. Meeting the user demands in terms of spectral properties and polarization with means of high performance IDs, while avoiding the undesired impact of the magnetic structures on the electron beam, is the mission of the group.
Contribution to the development of cutting edge undulator projects
- Detailed calculation of the spectral performance of novel IDs
- Detailed study of the impact of novel ID on the electron beam (for example wakefield effects)
- Contribution to the development of novel undulators based on optimized spectral performance and minimized impact on the electron beam
- Part taking in magnet field and performance measurements in the laboratory and at the storage ring
- Publication of scientific and technical results
- Communication with collaborators and companies
- Prototyping, participation in building and commissioning
- On-call Service for IDS
- User Support (Hallendienst)
As a postdoctoral researcher, the candidate will already have experience and proven capabilities in the field of ID systems, or accelerator physics or adjacent fields. The requirements on qualification and experience for the position are:
- A Ph.D. in Physics or a related discipline is required
- Experience with codes for simulation of accelerator and/or synchrotron radiation
- Knowledge of accelerator physics, experience with accelerator systems
- Experiences with synchrotron radiation sources, magnet design or undulator construction are desirable.
- Ability to work in a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in at least one of the languages German or English
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyHave we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 04.07.2018.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH