The Young Investigator Group Interface Design is looking for:
Postdoctoral Scientist (f/m) in the field of Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Materials Research or equivalentReference No.: EE 2017/2
The Young Investigator Group „Interface Design“ studies the structure-function relationship between the chemical and electronic surface and interface properties of thin-film layer stacks and the performance of energy conversion devices. It operates a lab-based ultra-high vacuum (UHV) surface analysis tool, the HiKE endstation at BESSY II, and is responsible for the UHV-based spectroscopy at EMIL.
- Within the framework of the BMBF “Power-to-X” cooperative project the chemical and electronic structure of Ir-based catalyst for electrolysis is to be studied by a combination of different x-ray spectroscopies (here mainly photoemission and x-ray emission) ex-situ and under working conditions (i.e., operando).
- For the operando measurements an x-ray spectrometer is to be commissioned and an “in-situ backbone” needs to be developed and set up. This analytical installation has to allow the study of a (catalyst) material by x-ray emission while being in a liquid electrolyte and exposed to a BIAS.
- Independently communicate and collaborate with the project partners to organize sample exchange and measurement campaigns
- Prepare and present project reports/results
- Present and publish results at international conferences/workshops and in high-quality peer-reviewed scientific journals, respectively
- Conduct own research on the chemical and electronic structure of surfaces/interfaces in energy conversion devices and energy materials
- Prepare addtl. funding proposals and communicate directly with the funding agency
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in (soft) x-ray and synchrotron-based analytics (particularly in the field of in-situ/operando characterization of materials)
- Experience in handling and maintaining UHV equipment as well as in designing/commissioning of in-situ/operando measurement setups/soft x-ray spectrometers
- Experience in applying photoemission and x-ray emission (to study surface and interface properties) as well as voltammetry measurements
- Mature, sound engineering judgment, analytical ability, evidence of strong written and verbal communication skills (English proficiency required; German proficiency advantageous)
- A sound background in semiconductor physics (preferably energy conversion devices) and electro chemistry is advantageous
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months. The employment contract is based on contracts for the German civil service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyHave we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 25.01.2017.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH