Postdoctoral scientist (f/m/d) in electrocatalysis and in situ methodsReference No.: CE 2021/30
The Electrochemical Conversion of CO2 group at HZB aims to develop sustainable routes to synthesize chemicals and fuels by using electrochemistry. In particular, we target the conversion of carbon dioxide into high-value hydrocarbons and oxygenates by addressing challenges in electrocatalyst and reactor design. Our work encompasses material synthesis, electrocatalytic activity + product analysis, and in situ methods for investigating structure-function relationships during electrocatalysis.
We seek a highly-motivated Postdoc to lead research investigating CO2 conversion reaction mechanisms using a variety of in situ methods aimed at understanding dynamic behaviors in the catalyst material, intermediates, and reaction environment during electrocatalysis.
- Synthesize catalyst materials based on nanoparticles, thin films, or combinations thereof, and develop deposition methods for electrode fabrication.
- Investigate electrocatalytic behaviors in combination with quantification of chemical products using analytical techniques (GC, HPLC, and in particular DEMS).
- Perform in situ spectroscopic characterization to develop mechanistic understanding (e.g. XAS, XPS at BESSY II synchrotron).
- Cooperate with external collaborators, write scientific manuscripts, present results in conferences.
- Co-supervise MS or PhD students.
- PhD in chemistry, materials science, physics, or a field closely related to the research topic
- Demonstrated expertise in electrocatalysis and in situ spectroscopy (also desirable is experience with DEMS techniques)
- Excellent English speaking, listening, and writing abilities
- Ability to work in a team as well as to independently lead a research project
- You will be part of an international, multifaceted research organization that provides access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and promotes networking and exchange within the Helmholtz Association and beyond
- Postdoc office that supports you in achieving your career goals
- Work-life balance, flexible working hours, mobile working
- Opportunities for professional development through in-house and external programs
- Health management and company sports facilities
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to applyPlease upload the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter (in English) describing your background and research interests relevant to this position.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) clearly listing your education, publications, research experience, and contact details for two references.
Fixed term contract for 12 months with the possibility for extension up to 36 months following a good evaluation. Payment is made in accordance with the Collective Agreement for German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 24.12.2021. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.