PostDoc (f/m/d) (PhD in Physics, Materials Sciences or equivalent)Reference No.: NP 2019/17
The HZB microscopy group develops novel methods for X-ray imaging to make use out of the unique interactions of X-rays with matter. For this, X-ray optics for the 10 nm scale characterization of the nanostructure, chemical nature, and composition of materials with high energy resolution are engineered and fabricated. We have developed a novel full-field transmission X-ray microscope (TXM) for the soft X-ray range that uses partially-coherent object illumination instead of the quasi-coherent illumination used in earlier setups. This TXM had demonstrated its high potential for life sciences by nano-tomography of cryogenic samples. High resolution images of cryogenic thick biological specimens with 3-D resolution around 30 nm ( half-pitch) have been achieved. Additionally, due to the high energy resolution spatially-resolved NEXAFS studies (NEXAFS-TXM) for material sciences are possible. An incorporated fluorescence light microscope was developed. This permits to record fluorescence, bright field and DIC images of cryogenic samples (cells) inside the TXM. Thus, two complementary imaging modalities are available and allow correlative studies.
- Support of the HZB transmission X-ray microscope (TXM) and PGM beamline at undulator U41 incl. user support in material, life and energy science applications
- Acquisition of tomography and spectroscopy data sets using the HZB-TXM at BESSY II as well as data analysis
- Support users in sample preparation
- Development of novel X-ray imaging techniques
- Improvement of correlative flourescence and X-ray microscopy
- In-depth expertise in the field of optics and microscopic techniques
- Good expertise in the field of synchrotron radiation
- Expertise in vaccum and positioning technologies
- Expertise in handling of cryogenic fluids
What we offerFixed term contract for 24 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 31.01.2020. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.