Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f/m/d), PhD in PhysicsReference No.: EM 2019/19
The Department Methods for Characterization of Transport Phenomena in Energy Materials engages in fundamental research on charge and thermal transport in novel phases of quantum and strongly correlated materials. The transport behavior of electrons and phonons is investigated by scattering techniques (photons and neutrons) available at the large scale facilities of HZB and elsewhere. The investigated materials are synthesized in the Department in powder and single-crystalline form and are characterized with respect to their structural, electronic, magnetic, and thermal properties by a wide range of experimental techniques.
- Sample preparation and macroscopic characterization of electronic, magnetic and thermal transport properties of single crystalline and bulk samples using the analytical laboratory infrastructure at HZB
- Support of internal and external users during preparation of experiments, measurements and data analysis
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment for macroscopic characterization of transport properties
- Implementation of a high-quality research program on thermal and electronic transport phenomena in novel quantum and strongly correlated materials within the research topics of the Department
- Publication of research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- PhD in Physics, ideally in Experimental Solid State Physics
- Strong experimental background in characterization techniques for macroscopic magnetic, electronic and thermal properties, including sample preparation techniques
- Working knowledge in the operation and maintenance of low temperature equipment for macroscopic measurements (cryostats)
- Working knowledge in sample synthesis (either single crystals or bulk) and structural characterization desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team, with guest researchers and technical support groups
- Contact details of at least two references as well as a list of publications should be provided
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 31.10.2019. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.