PhD student (m/f/d) - Accelerator Physics - Synchrotron Light SourceReference No.: FG 2019/13
The Institute for Accelerator Physics at HZB contributes to the operation and development of the synchrotron radiation sources BESSY II and MLS. Together with institute for "SRF-Science and Technology", the main tasks are the realization of the BESSY II upgrade to a variable pulse length storage ring: BESSY VSR, the realization of the Energy Recovery Linac test facility - bERLinPro and the development of new beam dynamics concepts and schemes with potential impact on a BESSY II successor.
Recently, we are investigating a Two Orbit operational mode using transverse resonance island buckets - TRIBs. Within this non-linear beam dynamics regime, there are still many open questions and challenges to realize a realistic user operation state, which sets a perfect basis for your PhD thesis.
Topics and Tasks
- Accelerator physics studies in fields of linear and nonlinear beam dynamics (transverse resonance island buckets, injection schemes, multi-bend achromat lattices) and/or collective effects (microwave/csr instability, ...)
- Studies of transverse and longitudinal single and multi particle dynamics with applicable tools such as "elegant, MAD-X" or self-developed code.
- Realization of experiments at the storage rings of HZB: BESSY II and MLS
- Collaboration with other laboratories (TU Dortmund, KIT, ...) and presenting your work on conferences / workshops.
- Interest in topics of accelerator physics and beam dynamics
- First experiences with the realization of experiments at storage rings or large scale facilities
- Programming skills and experiences with simulation tools (e.g. python, elegant, MAD-X or others)
- Fulfillment of the criteria for PhD candidates at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, MSc in physics or comparable degree
What we offerFixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 04.10.2019. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.